Great Lakes Lightning Sprints
Cascadden Tops Moreau For the Win
Owendale, MI – On a day that looked like our second night in a row would be cancelled because of the weather, 18 cars made the trip to Silver Bullet Speedway where 2020 Great Lakes Lightning Sprints presented by Maxima Racing Oils Champion, Brenden Cascadden (Traverse City, MI) won the season opener.
With the skies threatening, GLLS was first up on the track to hot lap/qualify. With no sun to dry out the top of the track all 18 sprint cars offered to go out and “roll in” the track. After about 3-4 laps, the track looked great and ready to go and the cars pulled off, lined up and the first group rolled on the track. Cascadden was in the first group and set a blistering 13.935 second lap on his first lap. With quick time, he sat on top of the board until the last group rolled out and William Dunham (Bellevue, MI) topped Cascadden with a 13.91 second lap or an average speed of 86 miles per hour.
Chuck Erickson (South Boardman, MI) leads out the first group of cars for the Engler Machine & Tool Heat 1. Lindsay Erickson (South Boardman, MI) jumps out to a quick lead and is on cruise control for the next 6 laps. But with the white flag being shown, Dunham gets around Lindsay and cruises to win from the 4th staring position. Lindsay follows behind for 2nd and first time driver Noah Wilfong (Wayland, MI) comes in 3rd.
In the Cheney Creek Construction Heat 2 race, Ricky Droke (Reed City, MI) led the group around to the green and lead all 8 laps, taking the checkered flag and the win. With Cascadden making the redraw, visiting 2020-2021 Lightning Sprint Champion Tomy Moreau from Sherbrooke, Quebec rounded out the top 3 cars.
New driver to GLLS, Chad Colley (Davision, MI) leads the last group around to the green flag in the Beacon & Bridge Markets Heat 3. With a good battle up front, Mack Erickson (South Boardman, MI) takes the checkered for the win with Richard Clay, Sr (Fife Lake, MI) and Colley round out the top 3 spots.
Rolling out for the Maxima Racing Oils Feature, the cars quickly line up and the field goes green. With cars 4-5 cars wide going into turns one and two and adrenaline high, the caution quickly comes out as two cars spin in the middle of turns 1 and 2. Getting them lined up and re-racked the field goes green only to have the same result up high this time in turns 1 and 2.
Taking the green the third time, the cars clear turns 1 and 2 this time. In just under 5 minutes, the field went green flag to checkered in 20 laps with Cascadden taking the checkered flag with Moreau and Dunham topping out the podium.
Our Next race will be Friday, June 17th at Mount Pleasant Speedway. For pictures and current events, follow us on FaceBook and Twitter (@GLSprints). For our complete schedule, results and points race go to our website at www.greatlakessprints.com.
Lightning Sprints Results 18 Entries
A Feature 1 20 Laps | 00:11:50.428 | Maxima Racing Oils
- 0-Brendon Cascadden; 2. 5-Tomy Moreau; 3. 84-Bill Dunham; 4. 25-Paul King; 5. 28-Bella Erickson; 6. 101-Chuck Erickson; 7. 48-Jake Erickson; 8. 40C-Chad Colley; 9. 116-Kevin King; 10. (DNF) 38-Mack Erickson; 11. (DNF) 7-Ricky Droke; 12. (DNF) 54-Bud Schrader; 13. (DNF) B4-Noah Wilfong; 14. (DNF) 29-Arlie Cooper Jr; 15. (DNF) 26-Richard Clay Sr; 16. (DNF) 18-Lindsey Erickson; 17. (DNS) 8-Justin Ward; 18. (DNS) 76-Dalton Pipgras
Heat 1 8 Laps | 00:03:46.991 | Engler Machine and Tool
- 84-Bill Dunham; 2. 18-Lindsey Erickson; 3. B4-Noah Wilfong; 4. 116-Kevin King; 5. 101-Chuck Erickson; 6. (DNF) 8-Justin Ward
Heat 2 8 Laps | 00:02:56.850 | Chaney Creek Construction
- 7-Ricky Droke; 2. 0-Brendon Cascadden; 3. 5-Tomy Moreau; 4. 28-Bella Erickson; 5. 54-Bud Schrader; 6. 48-Jake Erickson
Heat 3 8 Laps | 00:06:44.667 | Beacon and Bridge
- 38-Mack Erickson; 2. 26-Richard Clay Sr; 3. 40C-Chad Colley; 4. 25-Paul King; 5. 29-Arlie Cooper Jr; 6. (DNS) 76-Dalton Pipgras
Qualifying 1 99 Laps
- 84-Bill Dunham, 00:13.910; 2. 0-Brendon Cascadden, 00:13.935; 3. 38-Mack Erickson, 00:14.024; 4. 8-Justin Ward, 00:14.054; 5. 5-Tomy Moreau, 00:14.225; 6. 26-Richard Clay Sr, 00:14.569; 7. 18-Lindsey Erickson, 00:14.671; 8. 54-Bud Schrader, 00:15.073; 9. 25-Paul King, 00:15.087; 10. 101-Chuck Erickson, 00:15.135; 11. 7-Ricky Droke, 00:15.201; 12. 40C-Chad Colley, 00:15.494; 13. B4-Noah Wilfong, 00:15.873; 14. 28-Bella Erickson, 00:16.417; 15. 29-Arlie Cooper Jr, 00:16.568; 16. 116-Kevin King, 00:18.172; 17. 48-Jake Erickson, 00:20.644; 18. (DNS) 76-Dalton Pipgras, 00:20.644
Article Credit: Barry M. Marlow
Submitted By: Barry Marlow